Care for People with Hip Fractures
and other fragility fractures
Fragility fractures are breaks in the bone caused by low energy forces such as a fall from a standing height. They are very common, with one in two women and one in five men breaking a bone after the age of fifty. A major risk for these fractures is osteoporosis.
Barts Health has developed a network of specialist centres of surgical excellence, with a specialist fragility fracture service now being led from our Whipps Cross University Hospital by a dedicated multidisciplinary team. Centralising this specialist expertise reduces variability in care and improves outcomes for patients. Together with the multidisciplinary team at Barts Health we are creating a world class centre of excellence for people with fragility fracture – some of the most frail people living in our community.
What does our service include?
- Expert multidisciplinary team working together with a common goal of improving patients’ experience of care and better outcomes
- Specialist Orthogeriatric Medical Care focused on holistic care and reducing future falls and fracture risks
- Specialist Anaesthetic Assessment minimising delays to surgery
- Fragility Fracture Surgery on dedicated Consultant led theatre lists
- Upper and Lower Limb Fracture Surgery – maintaining mobility and function utilising specialist fixation and joint replacement techniques
- Periprosthetic Fracture Surgery (fractures around joint replacements) including fracture fixation and revision joint replacements
- Preventative Medical Treatment to reduce future fracture risk
- Specialist Therapy Services to keep people mobile and to maintain independence
Links to Primary Care and Social Services to support discharges
• Tower hamlets
• Waltham Forest
Specialist Spinal and Pelvic Surgery Services at The Royal London Hospital.
A new hospital will be built at Whipps Cross as part of the Government’s hospital building programme